WORDS ARE POWERFUL. Negative ones can tear you down, thwart your future, dry your spirit and destroy your dreams. Even constructive criticism hurts a wounded soul who is struggling.
In my own life, I have battled against anxiety and depression, whether it was in my mind and emotions, or a real challenge that I was facing with family, work, health or finances. And through it all, I have discovered this truth.
The wisdom of man is not always the wisdom of God. This wisdom includes the advice and counsel of other well meaning Christians too. People might think they are coming to my rescue, but really….
- The Lord is my Savior, and He is big enough to get His message to me.
- I have tried to fix myself and failed miserably so many times that I’ve lost count. You may not be OK with me, but God is.
- My imperfect self is already made perfect in Christ. All I have to do is ask repent, surrender and ask for His help. God has got me in His hand.
- If I am able to mature for the better, if it’s a lasting change, it’s probably a transforming work of the Holy Spirit. In that case, God will get the glory, not me.
- I can rest in God. He completely accepts me. His goal is not to change me, but to draw me closer to Him. He loves me just the way I am!
His mercies are new every morning. His grace is sufficient. His loving kindness is better than life, and my lips shall praise Him.
Many times I know that people are trying to help, but I’d like to make a suggestion. Rather than talk, offer advice, or try to fix, WHY NOT JUST BLESS THE PERSON?
Did you know that speaking favor and grace into a person’s life is what Moses told Aaron and his sons to do for the people of Israel? It’s called a priestly blessing from Numbers 6:22-27.
And so, today I choose to speak positive words. I pray this blessing over you, that the Lord will bless and keep you, that He will make His face to shine on you and be gracious, and that He will give you peace.
I pray I will do this more often with every person I come in contact with, both in prayer and deed. I pray that God will give me wisdom on how best to share His love.
Blessings in Christ,
Question for Reflection: How about you? Don’t you think that truly loving a person is best done by just blessing them without an agenda ? How about asking the Lord how you can bless someone today?