Summer is a great time for hosting a party!
And nothing says fresh and fun like a fiesta! Lay out a taco bar with lots of fresh ingredients for your guests to choose from. They will love the variety of tacos they can create. Here are some ideas for ingredients outside the box:
- baked chunks of fish
- pull pork made with taco seasoning instead of barbecue sauce
- shredded chicken slow cooked in salsa (this is amazingly easy – simplyplace your chicken breasts into a slow cooker and cover with your favorite salsa – cook on low for 6 hours…shred…yumm!)
- corn kernels
- red beans
- green beans, steamed and iced
- leaf lettuce (leave whole to avoid messy tacos)
- quinoa (cooked and cooled tossed with a light dressing for added flavor)
- chopped basil or cilantro
- heirloom tomatoes
- chopped dill pickles
- iced shrimp cocktail
Pretty much anything you can imagine would make an interesting combination.
Hang some lights in the trees and have some mariachi tunes playing, add in some festive hats and maybe even a pinata, and you have yourself a party!
Here are a few more recipes to top off the fresh-mex feel:
Amazing 7-layer dip
- 2 cans refried beans
- 3 medium avocados, seeds removed and chopped
- 1.5 cups sour cream mixed with 1 packet taco seasoning mix*
- 3 bunches chopped green onions, green parts only
- 3 medium diced tomatoes, seeds and juicy pulp removed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (8 oz) black olives, drained and sliced
-To assemble, add ingredients in distinct layers, starting with the refried beans and continue down the list.
Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
*Instead of using pre-packaged taco seasoning mix, you can also make your own version using this Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix recipe:
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
This recipe only takes a couple minutes to put together and costs less than buying pre-packaged taco seasoning. It also has less salt and no artificial additives or preservatives.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- .5 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
-Combine all ingredients in an airtight container and shake well to combine. Use 2 – 3 tablespoons per pound of ground beef (use more or less according to individual taste preferences).
This recipe can also be made in larger batches. Store unused amounts in an air tight container for up to 6 months.